The Makerspace is open to the public on Monday nights from 6 to 8 pm as we prepare for the Grand Re-Opening. Check the calendar for other events happening at the Makerspace. We will have a re-opening towards the end of the summer and hope you will join us then.
We’re moving! We are excited to announce that Juneau Makerspace will be moving later this spring from our current crowded shop space to a 6,000 square foot facility. Our new location is located on Douglas, less than half a mile north of the roundabout. We hope by being within walking distance of downtown we will better serve the community. The new Makerspace will vastly expand the services we are able to provide to the community. We will have dedicated rooms for woodworking, ceramics, electronics, and arts, as well as rentable event space and a commercial kitchen. The event space will be perfect for anything from classes and performances. We will also have private studio spaces for rent.
To make our move a success we will need your help. Please consider donating funds through our website. This will allow Juneau Makerspace to begin our efforts in moving to our new location. You can also help by signing up for work parties and classes we will be hosting over the next few months. The building is in need of some repairs, and as makers we won’t just be doing it ourselves, we will be using this as an opportunity to teach classes on home renovation. Stay tuned for our announcement of work party dates, as well as calls for donated materials as we need them.
We will continue to hold our Open Studio Nights and other classes at our current Anka Street location until our official grand re-opening, which is currently scheduled for June 1st.
We’ve got a great schedule of events coming for 2018. There’s an awesome event every Monday starting at 6 PM. Stay tuned, and let us know what you want to see.
January 8 – Simple Toy Whistles
January 15 – How to Shoot Lasers and Print in the 3rd Dimension
Sign up now for September’s glass class. Space is limited. Pay now using the donate tab.
We’ve got some great events lined up for our fall Open Studio Nights. If you’re looking for something to do on a Monday night, or want see the Makerspace, come on by between 6 and 8 pm. Open Studio Nights are free and open to anyone. Here’s the schedule:
August 21- Journal Making and Paper Arts. We’ll show you everything you need to know to create beautiful looking journals and other paper crafts.
August 28- Wind Chimes and Mobiles. Make a fun art project to hang outside or in. We’ll supply the material, you supply the creativity.
September 4- CNC Router build and/or class. If we haven’t finished building our new CNC router by the 4th, we’ll work on it then. If it is done, we’ll teach you how to use it.
September 11- 3D Printing Workshop. There are some new useful features we’ve uncovered about our 3D printer since the last workshop we ran.
September 18- Ceramics Pinchpots. Learn the basics of ceramics by making your own pinchpot.
September 25- Electronics Workshop. Come learn the basics of wiring your own electronics, from completing circuits to soldering connections.
October 2- Foam Weapon Smithing. Back by popular demand, make a foam and PVC sword to challenge your friends.
October 9- Pumpkin Carving. Get in the Halloween spirit by carving pumpkins, maker style.
October 16- Mask Making. The scariest part of any Halloween costume is the mask. Make yours the scariest on the block.
October 23- Costume Making/ Show and Tell. Finish up your costume with help from other makers, and show it off.
The button for purchasing recurring memberships has been fixed on our website. If you want to set up your recurring membership over paypal, please do so before the end of the month.
We will have another glass class in September due to the popularity of the last one. It will be a two part class on September 13th and 20th. We will have more details as we get closer to the date.
Sign up for the glass work class here. The classes are 6-8 on July 27th and August 3rd.
- 7/17/17- Open Studio Night: Beginner Hand Building Ceramics. Learn the basics on hand building ceramics. This is a great art class for the whole family.
- 7/24/17- Open Studio Night: Foam Weapon Smithing. Make a sword out of pvc, foam, and duct tape to challenge your friends.
- 7/27/17- Introductory Glass Class Part 1: Create your own rain chain or coaster set. This class will be an introduction to sheet glass, cutting, and creating an image. RSVP by emailing us at Juneaumakerspace@gmail.com.
- 7/31/17- Open Studio Night: Intro to electronics and soldering. We’ve been expanding the tool range on our electronics bench, we’ll show you how to use some of them on a nifty little project.
- 8/3/17- Introductory Glass Class Part 2. This class will focus on cold-working techniques and you will go home with your finished product.
- 8/7/17- Open Studio Night: Mason Jar Terrariums. Learn to make your own mini terrarium from a mason jar.
- 8/14/17- Open Studio Night: Show and Tell. Bring in your own project, and come see what other makers in Juneau are up to.
- 8/17/17- Board Meeting, 7 pm.
- 8/21/17- Open Studio Night: Journal Making and Paper Arts. Learn to make stellar journals and scrap books to impress your friends.